Used Cars With Better Reliability Than New Cars
Now, according to Consumer Reports, there's even more reason to buy used: eleven 2008 models have the same or fewer problems than similar 2010 models in the same class.
Among the most trouble-free 2008 models were the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Yaris.
Overall, Japanese cars are the most trouble-free, with Honda and Toyota far ahead.
The survey also found that five-year-old models can be good bets for used-car buyers, although problem rates, on average, are worse than rates of three or four-year-old cars.
Consumer Reports survey also found that cars older than five years are not so trouble-free.
Only half of the nine and 10-year-old vehicles had gone 12 months without a reported problem.
- Best used small car: Honda Fit
- Best used family car: Toyota Prius
- Best used upscale car: Lexus ES
- Best used luxury car: Acura RL
- Best used sporty car: Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Best used minivan: Toyota Sienna
- Best used small SUV: Honda CR-V
- Best used midsized & large SUV: Toyota Highlander
- Best used pickup truck: Honda Ridgeline
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid