The Most Fuel-Efficient Sedans for 2011
Here are the 8 most fuel-efficient choices on the market right now.
Hybrids dominate, obviously, with sedans like the Honda Civic Hybrid and the new Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
Ford's three platform-sharing models — the Fusion Hybrid, the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid and the Mercury Milan Hybrid, also make the list.
Why no Toyota Prius? Because its rear hatch disqualifies it from being labeled a sedan; look for it to make an appearance on the "Top 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Hatchbacks and Wagons" list.
As for non-hybrids? Check out the newly redesigned Hyundai Elantra, along with the diesel-powered Volkswagen Jetta.
- Honda Civic Hybrid - 40 city/43 highway
- Ford Fusion Hybrid - 41 city/36 highway (tie)
- Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - 41 city/36 highway (tie)
- Mercury Milan Hybrid - 41 city/36 highway (tie)
- Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - 30 city/42 highway
- Nissan Altima Hybrid - 33 city/33 highway
- Toyota Camry Hybrid - 31 city/35 highway
- Hyundai Elantra - 29 city/40 highway
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid