Best and Worst Cars to Negotiate Right Now
May was not kind to car sales, as it marked the first decline in the past eight months.
The sales decline was largely due to inventory shortages, high gas prices, and few incentives.
It took longer for cars to move off lots, with the average number of days rising from 48 in April to 54 in May.
Nonetheless, May was favorable to the 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The redesigned car is now the fastest-selling model, taking just three days to sell.
The 2011 Chrysler Sebring 200 also did well in May, taking only 19 days to sell.
The quicker a car sells, the less likely you'll be able to negotiate a great deal. Here are the best and worst cars to negotiate right now.
Worst Cars to Negotiate Right Now
- 2012 Hyundai Elantra: 3 days
- 2011 Hyundai Elantra: 7 days
- 2012 BMW X5: 8 days
- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: 8 days
- 2011 BMW X3: 10 days
- 2011 Ford Explorer: 11 days
- 2012 Ford Focus: 11 days
- 2011 Audi Q5: 12 days
- 2012 Honda Civic: 14 days
- 2011 Porsche Cayenne: 14 days
- 2011 Chrysler 300: 16 days
- 2012 Audi A7: 17 days
- 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid: 17 days
- 2012 Ford Mustang: 18 days
- 2011 Chevrolet Camaro: 19 days
- 2011 Chevrolet Equinox: 19 days
- 2011 Chrysler 200: 19 days
- 2011 Toyota Prius: 20 days
- 2011 Kia Optima: 21 days
- 2011 Mini Countryman: 21 days
- 2011 Jaguar XKR: 212 days
- 2011 Infiniti M56: 173 days
- 2011 Hyundai Azera: 165 days
- 2011 Jaguar XKR: 158 days
- 2011 Jaguar XF Supercharge: 151 days
- 2011 Jaguar XJL: 148 days
- 2011 BMW Z4: 145 days
- 2011 Volvo S80: 127 days
- 2011 Saab 9-5: 126 days
- 2011 Nissan Versa: 123 days
- 2011 Mazda Mazda2: 123 days
- 2011 Infiniti G25: 114 days
- 2011 BMW 335is: 103 days
- 2011 Toyota Yaris: 99 days
- 2011 Mazda Mazda6: 99 days
My Recommendation for Car ShoppersTrueCar, Edmunds, and 1-800 Car Show are the quickest way to see the lowest car prices in your area. These sites show you no-haggle prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually really good. This should be the first step you take when negotiating your car price. Follow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
New York Tri-State Residents - Important:There is a new car leasing service called Carvoy, available to NY tri-state area residents, which I recommend you try - especially if you hate the stress of haggling with car dealerships. Carvoy provides pre-negotiated lease deals, calculated with taxes and all fees incuded so you know exactly what it will cost. Here is my list of Best Carvoy deals, updated each month.
- Gregg Fidan
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About: Gregg Fidan
Gregg Fidan + is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips RSS Feed