Used Cars With Better Reliability Than New Cars
Used cars have always been the best way for consumers to get the most for their money.
Now, according to Consumer Reports, there's even more reason to buy used: eleven 2008 models have the same or fewer problems than similar 2010 models in the same class.
Among the most trouble-free 2008 models were the Toyota FJ Cruiser and Yaris.
Overall, Japanese cars are the most trouble-free, with Honda and Toyota far ahead.
The survey also found that five-year-old models can be good bets for used-car buyers, although problem rates, on average, are worse than rates of three or four-year-old cars.
Consumer Reports survey also found that cars older than five years are not so trouble-free.
Only half of the nine and 10-year-old vehicles had gone 12 months without a reported problem.
- Best used small car: Honda Fit
- Best used family car: Toyota Prius
- Best used upscale car: Lexus ES
- Best used luxury car: Acura RL
- Best used sporty car: Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Best used minivan: Toyota Sienna
- Best used small SUV: Honda CR-V
- Best used midsized & large SUV: Toyota Highlander
- Best used pickup truck: Honda Ridgeline
My Recommendation for Car ShoppersTrueCar and RydeShopper are the quickest way to see the lowest car prices in your area. These sites show you no-haggle prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually really good. This should be the first step you take when negotiating your car price. Follow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About: Gregg Fidan
Gregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips RSS Feed