Four SUVs Get Poor Safety Ratings
Labeled "acceptable" were the 2010 Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ Cruiser and Toyota 4Runner. The Nissan Pathfinder was rated as "marginal."
None received a "good" rating, which means a roof can withstand a force equal to at least 4 times the vehicle's weight.
For an "acceptable" rating, the minimum required strength-to-weight ratio is 3.25. A "marginal" rating value is 2.5. Anything lower is "poor."
Meanwhile, the 2011 Kia Sportage was recently named a Top Safety Pick by the institute, as was its twin the Hyundai Tucson.
Other Kia vehicles to be named top picks are: the 2010 Forte, 2010 Soul, and 2011 Sorento. In order to earn the IIHS Top Safety Pick designation a vehicle must earn a "good" rating in the front, side, rear and rollover crash-safety tests.
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars for 2023 Jun 01, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Jun 01, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Jun 01, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Jun 01, 2023
- Best Memorial Day Car Deals May 25, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category May 25, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now May 25, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs May 25, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals May 18, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates May 18, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs May 18, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy May 18, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory May 11, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks May 11, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals May 2023 May 04, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars May 04, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs May 04, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates May 04, 2023