Tips on Lowering Your Auto Insurance Rates
But there's a lot of things that change over the years which could result in lower payments.
Here are scenarios that might save you money on auto insurance. If any of these apply to you, it's worth calling your insurance provider and asking for updated rates - it could end up saving you a decent amount of money.
- You bought a home - Insurance companies offer lower premiums if you purchase auto and homeowners insurance together.
- You're working from home - Insurance companies charge partly according to how far you drive to a job every day. If you're working from home, your premiums are likely to go down.
- You are a safe driver - Check to see if your insurance company is up to date on your driving record. The longer you go without an accident, the better.
- Your child has left the nest - If you have a child in college more than 100 miles away, you can take him or her off your car insurance policy. (But they can't drive your car when home to visit.)
- Shop around - Get at least three insurance quotes to see if you can get a better rate.
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid