Tips on Lowering Your Auto Insurance Rates
March 3, 2011
Many drivers have had the same car insurance policy for many years and not given it much thought.
But there's a lot of things that change over the years which could result in lower payments.
Here are scenarios that might save you money on auto insurance. If any of these apply to you, it's worth calling your insurance provider and asking for updated rates - it could end up saving you a decent amount of money.
- You bought a home - Insurance companies offer lower premiums if you purchase auto and homeowners insurance together.
- You're working from home - Insurance companies charge partly according to how far you drive to a job every day. If you're working from home, your premiums are likely to go down.
- You are a safe driver - Check to see if your insurance company is up to date on your driving record. The longer you go without an accident, the better.
- Your child has left the nest - If you have a child in college more than 100 miles away, you can take him or her off your car insurance policy. (But they can't drive your car when home to visit.)
- Shop around - Get at least three insurance quotes to see if you can get a better rate.
Get My Free Weekly Advice on Car Buying
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
My Recommendation for Car Shoppers
and Edmunds Price Promise
are the quickest way to see the lowest car prices in your area. These sites show you no-haggle prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually really good. This should be the first step you take when negotiating your car price. Follow this up with my checklist
to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
About: Gregg Fidan
Gregg Fidan +
is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Recent Tips, News, & Incentives
April 2, 2015
March 26, 2015
March 19, 2015
March 12, 2015
March 5, 2015
February 26, 2015
February 19, 2015
February 12, 2015
February 5, 2015
January 29, 2015
January 22, 2015
January 15, 2015
January 8, 2014
January 1, 2015
I welcome your car buying questions. Email Me and I'll be glad to answer them!