Toyota Prius Prices Soar Due to Earthquake
As a result, American consumers are anxious, with many scrambling to purchase the Toyota Prius before inventories disappear.
East and West coast dealers are seeing their inventories decline the fastest. High gas prices are adding to the increased demand.
With demand increasing, so are prices, which means shoppers should be prepared to pay more for fuel-efficient cars or be willing to wait a several months for supply to catch up.
Consumers can expect to pay at least $2,000 more for a Toyota Prius than they would have shortly before the earthquake.
Are there alternatives? If budget isn't an issue, there's the Chevrolet Volt and the Nissan Leaf, but they're pretty much sold out for the year.
Then there's the Ford Focus Electric, not out yet and with limited availability.
The Ford Fusion and Nissan Altima hybrid cost more than the Prius and their fuel economy ratings are lower.
Other options are fuel-efficient gasoline cars like the Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Cruze and the Hyundai Elantra.
All three can get up to 40 mpg on the highway, and you won't pay more than $18,200 for these models.
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Best Memorial Day Car Deals May 25, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category May 25, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now May 25, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs May 25, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals May 18, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates May 18, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs May 18, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy May 18, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory May 11, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks May 11, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals May 2023 May 04, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars May 04, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs May 04, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates May 04, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Apr 27, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Apr 27, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars for 2023 Apr 20, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Apr 20, 2023
- Which Cars Better to Lease or Buy Apr 20, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Apr 20, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Apr 06, 2023