Car Incentives Down for New Cars
So, I have some good news and some bad news.
The good news is mainly for car manufacturers and dealers: January was a very strong sales month. According to an article on The Truth About Cars, GM and Ford both surprised analysts with 16% and 22% increases respectively, while Toyota also saw a large increase of 26.6%. Other companies also faired very well in January, such as Chrysler with a 16% jump, and Honda with a 13% increase.
Now for a bit of bad news - car incentives are declining. According to TrueCar.com, the average incentive for passenger vehicles was $2,274 in January 2013, a decline of $206 (8.3%) from January 2012, and a decrease of $317 (12.2%) from December 2012.
But not to worry, although the industry overall has been reducing incentives, that doesn't mean you can't get a great deal on the car you want. When you're ready to negotiate, I recommend turning to the to find the very best deals on any new vehicle.
|Vehicle||Jan 2013||Dec 2012||Jan 2012||% Change Jan 2012 to Jan 2013||% Change Dec 2012 to Jan 2013|
|Chrysler (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat)||$2,973||$3,102||$3,160||-5.9%||-4.2%|
|Ford (Ford, Lincoln)||$2,643||$2,792||$2,886||-8.4%||-5.3%|
|GM (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC)||$3,150||$3,522||$3,071||2.6%||-10.6%|
|Honda (Acura, Honda)||$1,194||$1,657||$2,127||-43.9%||-27.9%|
|Nissan (Nissan, Infiniti)||$2,084||$2,629||$2,764||-24.6%||-20.7%|
|Toyota (Lexus, Scion, Toyota)||$1,660||$1,930||$1,717||-3.3%||-14.0%|
|Volkswagen (Audi, Volkswagen)||$2,276||$2,385||$2,171||4.8%||-4.6%|
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals Mar 16, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory Mar 16, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars Mar 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs Mar 16, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals March 2023 Mar 09, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs Mar 09, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Mar 02, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category Feb 23, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs Feb 23, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Feb 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks Feb 09, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now Feb 02, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Feb 02, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Feb 02, 2023