Find the Best Car Deals Near You ⤵
How Accurate are MPG Figures?
October 30, 2014As we all know, high gas prices are here to stay, which means fuel efficiency has become an important factor when it comes to choosing a new car.
However, consumers need to be aware that the MPG shown on a car's window sticker may not be completely accurate. Consumer Reports recently conducted a study to see how accurately the promised city, highway and combined MPG stood up in the real world.
At the top of the list is the Honda CR-Z EX, which according to Consumer Reports promised a 34 overall MPG and performed better with an experienced overall MPG of 35. And on the other side of the spectrum is the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, which fell 11 points short of its promised 45 combined MPG when tested. Below is a look at 19 vehicles tested by Consumer Reports and their results.
|Consumer Reports MPG||EPA MPG|
|Vehicle||Overall||City/Highway||Combined||City/Highway||Difference EPA vs. CR Overall|
|Honda CR-Z EX||35||26/45||34||31/38||-1|
|Toyota Prius V Three||41||33/47||42||44/40||1|
|Lexus CT 200h||40||31/47||42||43/40||2|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE||38||32/43||40||40/38||2|
|Lexus RX 450h||26||22/31||29||30/28||3|
|Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid||28||21/35||31||29/33||3|
|Honda Insight EX||38||29/45||42||41/44||4|
|Lexus ES 300h||36||28/44||40||40/39||4|
|Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited||36||29/43||40||40/39||4|
|Honda Civic Hybrid||40||28/50||45||44/47||5|
|Hyundai Sonata Hybrid||33||24/40||38||36/40||5|
|Ford C-MAX Hybrid SE||37||35/38||43||45/40||6|
|Infiniti Q70 Hybrid||25||17/33||31||29/34||6|
|Toyota Prius Four||44||32/55||50||51/48||6|
|Honda Accord Hybrid||40||32/47||47||50/45||7|
|Toyota Prius C Two||43||37/48||50||53/46||7|
|Ford Fusion SE Hybrid||39||35/41||47||47/47||8|
|Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid||37||29/45||45||42/48||8|
|Lincoln MKZ Hybrid||34||29/38||45||45/45||11|
Signup for The Weekly Newsletter
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars for 2023 Jun 01, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Jun 01, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Jun 01, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Jun 01, 2023
- Best Memorial Day Car Deals May 25, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category May 25, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now May 25, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs May 25, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals May 18, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates May 18, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs May 18, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy May 18, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory May 11, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks May 11, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals May 2023 May 04, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars May 04, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs May 04, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates May 04, 2023
I welcome your car buying questions. Email Me and I'll be glad to answer them!