GM Offering Warranty Extensions
Starting this week, GM began offering a 2-year extension to their bumper-to-bumper warranty on all new vehicles. All Chevrolet and GMC vehicles currently come with 3 year / 36,000 miles warranties, which can now be extended to 5 year / 60,000 miles, while Buick and Cadillac can be bumped up from 4 year / 50,000 miles to 6 year / 70,000 miles.
GM is leaving the pricing up to dealers, but expect to pay between $1,000 and $2,000 for the extension, although there are rumors you may be able to get this added on for free or at a much bigger discount if you shop around.
Unlike other types of extended warranties, this one cannot be cancelled, but it will remain with the vehicle and can be passed to new owners (potentially increasing resale value). The extended warranty acts exactly like the bumper-to-bumper warranty, with no deductibles and no need to file claims when getting warranty work. You can only purchase this extension at point of sale.
My take on this is that it's worth paying between $500 and $1,000 if you intend to keep the vehicle for the entire bumper-to-bumper warranty. Like I mentioned, there are rumors that dealers may be able to throw this extension into the deal for free if it means getting a sale, so I would definitely try to have them do this - but keep in mind you will need to contact several dealers and have them compete for your business.
As always, I recommend using TrueCar No Haggle and CarsDirect to see the lowest prices your local dealers are willing to offer.
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Best 0% Finance Deals April 2023 Mar 30, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category Mar 30, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates Mar 30, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks Mar 30, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now Mar 23, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates Mar 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Mar 23, 2023
- Which Cars Better to Lease or Buy Mar 23, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals Mar 16, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory Mar 16, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars Mar 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs Mar 16, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs Mar 09, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Mar 02, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Feb 16, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Feb 02, 2023