List of Cars in Short Supply Due to Quake
Those constraints are showing up in higher prices for popular Japanese fuel sippers, especially the Honda Fit and the Toyota Prius.
Prices for the Prius rose from about $300 under invoice two weeks ago to selling for sticker price this week.
Likewise, Honda Fit prices have already increased, projected to climb several hundred dollars in the coming weeks.
Honda looks like the automaker that has been hardest-hit, suspending new dealer orders for the CR-Z, Fit, Insight, and Acura RL and TSX, as well as some CR-Vs that were made in Japan.
Even cars produced in North America aren't immune. General Motors had to shut down a plant that makes small pickups in Louisiana, reportedly because of a shortage of Japan-sourced parts and Honda just announced they will be cutting back production by 50 percent due to part shortages.
So far, more than 200,000 Japanese cars that were scheduled for production haven't been made, leaving short supplies on dealers' lots.
And car shoppers will face diminishing choices of options and colors on these cars in coming weeks.
The situation in Japan has interrupted or slowed production of the following models:
- Toyota Prius
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Lexus HS 250h
- Lexus CT 200h
- Honda CR-Z
- Honda Fit
- Honda Insight
- Honda CR-V
- Infiniti M35
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Impreza
- Subaru Outback
- Subaru Tribeca
- Subaru WRX
- Suzuki Kizashi
- Suzuki Grand Vitara
- Suzuki SX4 Crossover
- Chevrolet Colorado
- GMC Canyon
A better strategy if you can put off buying a new car would be to wait until production and prices get back to normal - which may not be until early June.
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars for 2023 Jun 01, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Jun 01, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Jun 01, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Jun 01, 2023
- Best Memorial Day Car Deals May 25, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category May 25, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now May 25, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs May 25, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals May 18, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates May 18, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs May 18, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy May 18, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals May 11, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory May 11, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks May 11, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals May 2023 May 04, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars May 04, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs May 04, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates May 04, 2023