The Most Dependable Used Cars Ranked by J.D. Power
The Vehicle Dependability Study focuses on cars that are 3 years old, so this year's study is for the 2008 model year.
The reason these rankings are so important is because dependability has a big affect on resale values. Cars that are ranked well tend to hold their value better because of higher demand for dependable used cars.
This year's study named Lincoln and Lexus as the most dependable brands, with 101 problems per 100 vehicles for Lincoln, followed by Lexus with a score of 109.
It's the first time Lincoln has been named the most dependable brand in the history of the study.
Jaguar also suprised everybody by finishing #3, with 112 problems per 100 vehicles.
Porsche (114) and Toyota (122) round out the top five.
Bringing up the rear is Mini, with 221 problems per 100 vehicles, followed by Jeep (214), Land Rover (212), Dodge (206) and Chrysler (202).
The study also ranks individual models in each category, and Toyota's seven individual segment victories gave them more individual victories than any other brand.
Here is how each brand ranked this year:
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals Mar 16, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory Mar 16, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars Mar 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs Mar 16, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals March 2023 Mar 09, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs Mar 09, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Mar 02, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category Feb 23, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs Feb 23, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Feb 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks Feb 09, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now Feb 02, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Feb 02, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Feb 02, 2023