Find the Best Car Deals Near You ⤵
Ultimate Comparison of Hybrid Cars
February 5, 2015With gas prices and the environment on everyone's minds, it's no wonder more and more drivers are considering purchasing hybrid vehicles. However, not all hybrids are the same and with so many options on the market, it can be a bit confusing as to which ones you should consider.
The Wirecutter recently did an in-depth study on hybrid vehicles (I highly recommend you read it), and determined how hybrids measured up against their non-hybrid counterparts. According to their research, their choice for best hybrid vehicle was the 2015 Toyota Prius Two, with other top picks including the 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid, 2014 Toyota Prius Two, and 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserved.
Below is a look at some hybrids compared to their non-hybrid equivalents, with comparison by price, MPG, break-even miles and gallons of fuel saved.
If you're considering a hybrid vehicle or any new vehicle, I highly recommend you use TrueCar No Haggle and CarsDirect to compare the best prices among local dealers.
Hybrid Vs Non-Hybrid Counterpart
|Hybrid Vehicle||Price||Non-Hybrid Vehicle||Price||MPG Difference||Break Even Miles||Gallons of Fuel Saved|
|Toyota Prius||$24,200||Ford Focus 5-Door||$18,960||19||109,609||1,593|
|Honda Civic Hybrid||$24,635||Honda Civic EX||$21,090||12||125,341||1,050|
|Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid||$25,995||Subaru XV Crosstrek 2.0i Premium||$22,995||3||248,000||449|
|Honda Accord Hybrid||$29,305||Honda Accord EX||$25,030||17||101,307||1,567|
|Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid||$31,670||Volkswagen Jetta GLI SEL||$30,380||16||22,749||1,593|
|Lincoln MKZ Hybrid||$35,190||Lincoln MKZ||$35,190||14||0||1,749|
|Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium||$35,555||Toyota Avalon XLE Premium||$33,195||15||44,952||1,949|
|Lexus ES 300h||$39,500||Lexus ES 350||$36,620||16||49,371||2,166|
|BMW ActiveHybrid 5||$61,650||BMW 535i||$55,350||2||504,000||417|
|Lexus LS 600h L||$120,440||Lexus LS 460 L AWD||$101,305||2||883,154||722|
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Select Vehicle to Get Local Pricing
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Signup for The Weekly Newsletter
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals Mar 16, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory Mar 16, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars Mar 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs Mar 16, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals March 2023 Mar 09, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs Mar 09, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Mar 02, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category Feb 23, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs Feb 23, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Feb 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks Feb 09, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now Feb 02, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Feb 02, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Feb 02, 2023
I welcome your car buying questions. Email Me and I'll be glad to answer them!