New App Lets You Lease Used Cars
I always keep an eye out for any new services that can help you land a better car deal, save time, or avoid hassles. I'm very selective with the services I recommend and only do so after I get positive feedback from readers.
This week, I'm excited about a new service that just launched called Fair. The founder, Scott Painter, is the former founder of TrueCar (which is one of the services I currently recommend), so this is a huge positive right off the bat.
Fair (currently only available as an Apple iOS app) basically allows you to lease a late-model used car on a month-to-month basis, at a low price, with maintenance and basic warranty included. It almost sounds too good to be true, with some deals going for as little as $130 per month with $390 due at signing (not including taxes and fees which adds about $12 to the monthly payment).
At the time I was browsing their deals, they had 135 vehicles available to lease for under $200 per month. If you can handle higher payments, you can even lease a Porsche 911 for about $1,070 per month with $3,200 up front (remember, these are month-to-month leases that include maintenance and warranty).
But what I'm really excited about is the potential for this service to help those with poor credit who need reliable transportation. Typically, this type of person is taken advantage of by "Buy Here, Pay Here" used car lots that charge incredibly high interest rates on vehicles that are NOT reliable and often break down (it's really terrible how badly these people are taken advantage of). Fair.com says their approval process isn’t guided purely by credit score – they focus primarily on a customer’s ability to pay month-to-month. Again, this is very exciting and I think has great potential.
Fair is only available in California right now (southern CA to be exact), but they plan to expand soon. If you're in this region and are willing to try out their service, please report your feedback to me.
As I get feedback, I will keep you guys updated and let you know if this service truly lives up to its potential.
3 Steps Every Car Buyer Needs to Take to Save Maximum MoneyThe key to getting the best deal is to gather price or lease bids from as many local dealers as possible. Then shop that best price around until no one can beat it. Here are the steps:
Step 1 Get Prices From My Trusted NetworkSelect the vehicle you're interested in to see if there are local dealers in my network who will provide you with their best upfront price. You will get direct access to an internet sales manager who you can further negotiate with online (no need to visit dealership).
Step 2 Get Prices From TrueCar / CarsDirectTrueCar, and CarsDirect are my top 2 online price quote recommendations. These services show you pre-negotiated prices from dealers closest to you - and the deals are usually pretty decent. But remember, you can still negotiate further.
Step 3 Complete my ChecklistFollow this up with my checklist to make sure you squeeze out every last bit of savings.
- Gregg Fidan
Each week, I'll keep you up-to-date on the latest car deals and news that might affect your purchase. This includes...
- Best Rebates, Incentives, and Lease Deals
- Latest Car Buying Scams and Tricks
- The Best & Worst Time to Buy a Car
- Which Cars You Should Avoid
About The AuthorGregg Fidan is the founder of RealCarTips. After being ripped off on his first car purchase, he devoted several years to figuring out the best ways to avoid scams and negotiate the best car deals. He has written hundreds of articles on the subject of car buying and taught thousands of car shoppers how to get the best deals.
Latest Weekly Car Buying Tips
- Top 100 Cheapest Lease Deals Mar 16, 2023
- New Cars with the Most Available Inventory Mar 16, 2023
- Biggest Discounts on New Cars Mar 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Large SUVs Mar 16, 2023
- Best Bang for Your Buck Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best Electric, Hybrid Lease Deals Mar 09, 2023
- Best 0% Finance Deals March 2023 Mar 09, 2023
- Price Comparison of Subcompact SUVs Mar 09, 2023
- Top 100 Cheapest New Cars Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals Around the Country Mar 02, 2023
- Real Prices of New Compact SUVs Mar 02, 2023
- New Cars You Should Wait to Buy Mar 02, 2023
- Best Car Deals by Category Feb 23, 2023
- Cars With the Largest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize SUVs Feb 23, 2023
- Lease Deals with Loyalty & Conquest Rebates Feb 23, 2023
- Real Prices of Midsize Cars Feb 16, 2023
- Real Prices of Pickup Trucks Feb 09, 2023
- Worst Cars to Lease Right Now Feb 02, 2023
- Real Prices of Compact Cars Feb 02, 2023
- Cheapest Luxury Lease Deals Feb 02, 2023